As per research, in India, Breast problems are common in women of all age groups such as breast lumps, breast pain, tenderness in the breast, nipple discharge, changes in the skin of the breast, and breast cancer. Because every four minutes a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer so, breast cancer accounts for 14%, and more than 50% of women are diagnosed with 3rd and 4th stages of cancer. So, it’s crucial to diagnose the problem and its extent at an early stage to reduce the death rate.
Doctors ask for different diagnostic and imaging procedures such as serum tests, mammography, ultrasound, biopsy, MRI, etc. to screen and find out the abnormalities in the breast tissues in order to provide preventive treatment. Depending on the medical requirements of the patients and to know the extent of the problem, the doctor recommends the procedure alone or in conjunction with other tests.
MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) for the breast is one of the best imaging procedures to detect and diagnose breast abnormalities and their extent.
In this blog, we discuss the MRI scan of the breast. Keep Reading the blog to have a precise knowledge of Breast MRI scans.
- MRI scan for the breast detects the various kinds of abnormalities in the breast tissues, performed with other imaging techniques to diagnose the stage and extent of the problem.
- It requires proper preparation from the patient’s side before undergoing.
- Along with the benefits it also poses some risk factors.
- It takes around 15mins to 45 mins for MRI Breast Scan
About MRI Breast Scan
MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) scan for the breast is an imaging test used to detect various kinds of abnormalities and cancer in the breast tissues. Not only old-age women but females in the adolescent period also experience breast-related problems.
The MRI breast is performed to obtain pictures of your breast to diagnose the problems in the breast and its area of extent. A doctor recommends this scan when you are diagnosed with breast cancer in other tests such as biopsy, and mammography, to get detailed information about the extent of the disease.
Why Do I Need MRI Breast Scan?
MRI breast scan is requested for screening of breast cancer and also for the expanse of cancer. There are various other conditions, in which the MRI of the breast is used such as:
- Family history of breast cancer
- When your doctor suspects that you have leakage in your breast implant or it got ruptured.
- Dense breast tissues.
- Changes in the BRAC1 and BRAC2(breast cancer genes)
- If you have indications of breast issues such as
- Lumps in the breast
- Breast pain
- Breast tenderness
- Nipple discharge
- Modified breast skin color etc.
What Is The Procedure For MRI Breast Scan?
- As you arrive for your breast MRI, the technologist may give you a hospital gown to wear for the scanning process.
- The technologist may give you a mild sedative and inject you with contrast dye through an intravenous (IV) line in your arm (if required).
- The main purpose of giving contrast dye is to make the breast tissues and blood vessels in the breast clear to see.
- After an hour of injecting the contrast dye, the technologist takes you to the scanning room and asks you to lie on the table with hollow depression attached to the MRI machine face down
- While lying on the table your breasts fit into a hollow depression. Magnetic Coils inside the hollow depression detects the magnetic signals from the MRI machine to scan and creates images of the inside of the breast.
- Once the scanning of your breast is done effectively, the technologist checks the images on the computer to confirm whether there is a requirement for a repeated scan or not.
- If no repetition is required, then he slides the table out of the scanner.
How Do I Need To Prepare For An MRI Breast Scan?
Some necessary steps you need to follow before undergoing the scanning procedure of breast:
- Remove all types of metallic accessories from your body.
- Keep your mobile phone and spectacles outside the scanning room.
- Notify the doctor and technologist if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, allergic to contrast dye, claustrophobic, kidney patient, etc. So that doctor can give you special guidance to prevent any kind of complications.
- Give the detail to your doctor about your past medical history and family history of breast issues (if any)
- Inform your doctor and technologist if you have implanted metallic devices such as a pacemaker, artificial joint, clips, etc.
- You may need to fast for 4 to 6 hours.
- Post procedure to remove the contrast dye from the body, you need to drink a lot of water.
Is Any Risk Posed By MRI Breast Scan?
The MRI Breast scan is safe and doesn’t pose any severe risks. There is no use of harmful radiation for the scanning procedure but because of contrast dye, you may experience allergic reactions such as itching, rashes or redness, etc.
How Long MRI Breast Scan Take?
MRI Breast Scan takes 30 minutes to 60 minutes to completion. It may take more time if additional pictures are needed.
What Is The Cost Of An MRI Breast Scan?
The MRI Breast Scan Cost is approximately Rs. 15000 to Rs. 17000 in every diagnostic center.
The exact price of a breast MRI scan, you can check with any MRI diagnostic center near you.
Problems related to the breast can occur at any age. If not diagnosed and treated on time, it can become life-threatening. MRI scan is an advanced methodology to diagnose breast anomalies and breast cancer as well as to get effective treatment therapy.
Hope we are able to give you proper information about Magnetic resonance imaging for breast issues.